As we told you a few days ago, MIUI 8 has been announced officially today during the MiMax event by Xiaomi.
GSM Arena has gathered all the important new features of the operating system and here is what we’ll get if we upgrade our Xiaomi devices:
- Multi-window support: some apps like WeChat and QQ will support multi-window user interface to make use of the available screen
- New Xiaomi font: The company has made a custom Chinese font to offer better mobile reading. It contains 27,533 characters
- Wallpaper carousel: the app will send beautiful images to the lock and homescreen daily. Users will be able to choose from over 12 categories
- New Gallery: The MIUI8 gallery has been heavily revamped and now supports doodles, filters, stickers, cropping and music video creation. Swiping from the bottom allows users to quickly share the final result
- Note templates, new calculator: the Notes app has been given new templates, while the Calculator app now supports advanced calculations and conversions
- Scanner: the Camera app has a new Scanner feature, which generates WeChat/Alipay QR codes. It allows you to scan products in brick-and-mortar shops for buying them online later on. A neat feature is the ability to solve and later share math problems via a QR code generated on the fly
- Power saving and security: MIUI8 is able to detect scam and fraud messages and limit chain start-ups from unessential apps. Finally, the Power saving mode freezes background app activity and can suspend app syncing, updates and background tasks
MIUI8 will be available for all Redmi and Mi Note series as well as the Mi 2, 2S, 3, 4, 4C, 4S, 5 and Max.
From the event, we also learned that Xiaomi will open the registration for the MIUI 8 beta on 16th May. The beta ROM will be released on 1st June. However, this dates are correct for the China market. We still don’t know when the update will hit users globally.
During the event, we also learned a whole lot about the new Mi Max smartphone, so keep your eyes on our website for the news about it in a couple of minutes!